Call for papers
4th International Conference on
Cognitive Research on Translation, Interpreting and Language Acquisition
3-4 November 2017
Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, China
Center for Translation Studies,
School of English and International Studies,
Beijing Foreign Studies University
Centre for Studies of Translation, Interpreting and Cognition (CSTIC)
University of Macau
We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the 4th International Conference on Cognitive Research on Translation, Interpreting and Language Acquisition, to be held on 3-4 November 2017 at Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, China. The first three conferences were held in 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively, by the Centre for Studies of Translation, Interpreting and Cognition (CSTIC) at University of Macau. This is the first time this conference will be hosted outside Macau.
This conference will provide an international forum for the presentation and discussion of up-to-date cognitive research on translation, interpreting and language acquisition. High quality research contributions describing original and unpublished results of conceptual, constructive, empirical, experimental, or theoretical work are cordially invited for presentation at the conference.
We are now inviting proposals for 30-minute presentations (20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion), addressing one of the following themes:
- Conceptualizing process studies in Translation Studies
- Psycholinguistics in translation/interpreting as bilingual processing
- Cognitive linguistics in translation/interpreting as bilingual processing
- Cognitive processes of translation
- Cognitive processes of interpreting
- Cognitive processes of second language learning
- Cognition and translator training
- Bilingual processing and language education
- Research methods in the cognitive translation/interpreting studies
- Corpus application in bilingual processing and language acquisition
- Tools for the cognitive study of translation/interpreting processes
Tutorial: Multimodal Integration of Written and Spoken Translation Production
By Michael Carl & Masaru Yamada
Eye-tracking and keyboard logging techniques have become established methods in translation process research and a number of interesting and sometimes surprising findings have been reported over the past decade.More recently, technologies have been developed that allow records of spoken translation (sight translation and interpretation) to be transcribed, analyzed and compared with records of written translation production. The comparison of independent, multi-modal behavioral data streams (reading, writing, hearing, speaking) is a challenging task that requires an advanced technological framework for data analysis, but promises deeper insights into the human translation processes and allows for better grounded and more general theories of the translation process.With the integration of multi-modal data streams it will be possible to investigate universal cognitive processes in spoken and written translation production and reception as well as contrasts resulting from orality and literacy.
This tutorial introduces novel methods for recording and transcribing spoken language and how it can be aligned with gaze and keystroke data. The aim is to outline the components of the technological framework and to demonstrate in practical hands-on sessions how spoken data records can be obtained and processed in conjunction with the available legacy in the Translation Process Research Database (TPR-DB). We will also give sample research results and show an expanded usage of TPR-DB with neuro-imaging technology. The tutorial will take place on the afternoon November 1st from 13:00 – 17:00.
- introduction and rational
- setting up and recording a sight translation experiment
- speech transcription and sentence alignment in ELAN
- word alignment in YAWAT
- building and analysing a TPR-DB
Keynote speakers confirmed so far include:
- Fabio Alves, UFMG, Brazil
- Michael Carl, Renmin University of China, Beijing; Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- Maureen Ehrensberger-Dow, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland
- Yuanjian He, University of Macau, China
- Arnt Lykke Jakobsen, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- Jan-Louis Kruger, Macquarie University, Australia
- Defeng Li, University of Macau, China
- Ricardo Muñoz Martín, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
- Xu Wen, Southwest University, China
- Binghan Zheng, Durham University, UK
- Dr. Jian Zhang (Conference Chair)
Dean, School of English and International Studies, BFSU
- Dr. Sanjun Sun (Conference Co-Chair)
Associate Professor, Center for Translation Studies, BFSU
- Dr. Defeng Li (Conference Co-Chair)
Professor, CSTIC, University of Macau
- Dr. Huijuan Ma
Professor, Center for Translation Studies, BFSU
- Dr. Wei Zhang
Professor, Center for Translation Studies, BFSU
Submission of Abstracts
We invite papers on topics related to one of the conference themes. The language of the conference will be English. A selection of the research papers will be published as a book following the conference, while some will be published in Chinese in a special issue of Translation Horizons, a biannual, peer-reviewed Chinese journal focused on disseminating scholarly research relevant to translation and interpreting. The paper selection will be carried out during the peer review process as well as at the conference presentation stage.
Those who are interested in making a presentation at the conference should indicate your initial interest by writing to Dr. Sanjun Sun at email@example.com by 30 April 2017. Please state your full name and institution/affiliation in the email message (Click to download Form for initial interest information). The deadline for submitting the abstract is 30 June 2017. The letter of acceptance will be sent by 30 July 2017. (Click to download Form for Abstract Submission. ) Abstracts should be written in English and about 250-300 words. Please kindly submit abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
Registration and fees
Registration is required for all presenters and participants of the conference. The standard registration fee for the conference is RMB 1600 (approximately USD 290). The registration fee for full-time students (copy of student ID required) is RMB 800. The registration fee can be paid on-site.
Please note that the fee covers the conference pack, refreshments, lunches, a conference dinner, and certificate for participation. The fee does not cover travel, accommodations or other meals not specified.
A letter of invitation will be provided upon request to registrants who have completed their registration.
- Call for papers: 18 February 2017
- Deadline for submission of abstract: 30 June 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 30 July 2017
- Registration for participants: June 2017 - mid-October 2017
- Deadline for early bird registration: 2 August 2017
- Final paper submission: : mid-October 2017
- Program available on-line: mid-October 2017
- Conference: 3-4 November 2017
University-based or off-campus rooms are reserved for conference presenters and participants. If you are interested, you can contact us at email@example.com and we will help make the reservation. .
1. 青年假日酒店（北京民大店）, 地址：北京 海淀区 民族大学西路58号 ，近法华寺。
Youth Holiday Hotel (Minda Branch) ，58 West Nationality University Road (Minzu Daxue Xi Lu)
Distance: 12 minutes by walk from the conference venue.
Price for standard room: 428 yuan (bigger room) or 398 yuan per night
Rooms reserved: 15 or more
2. 维也纳国际酒店（北京首体店）, 地址：海淀区 中关村南大街52号 ，近国家图书馆。
Vienna Hotel (Beijing Shouti), 52 Zhongguancun South Street (Nan Dajie),
Distance: 30 minutes by walk from the conference venue.
Price for standard room: 540 yuan per night
Rooms reserved: 15 or more
Wannianqing Hotel, 25 North West 3rd Ring Road (Xi Sanhuan Bei Lu)
Distance: 19 minutes by walk from the conference venue.
Price for standard room: 338 yuan per night
Rooms reserved: 10
4. 7天连锁酒店（北京中关村理工大学店）, 地址：海淀区 魏公村路8号院6号楼 ，与民族大学西路交汇处。
7 Days Inn Beijing Institute of Technology, Zhonguancun
Distance: 6 minutes by walk from the conference venue.
Price for standard room: 369 yuan per night
Rooms reserved: 10 or more
If you need us to book a hotel for you, please email your requests to Miss Hou at firstname.lastname@example.org (Cell phone number: 86- 13478738194 )